Pages

Steven Moffat reveals the real reason he's never cast a female Doctor

Doctor Who showrunner Steven Moffat is finally explaining his decision to shy away from a female Doctor in his era.

The likelihood of a female Time Lord seems to be a hot topic whenever a new Doctor is being cast. While Moffat has kept up the tradition of male Doctors, he did revamp The Master as Missy – as played by Michelle Gomez.

Moffat chatted about his philosophy towards casting while speaking with BBC Radio 4's Samira Ahmed at the Hay Festival recently.

"I didn't not cast a woman, I cast a man," the writer explained. "I didn't [cast a woman] because I wanted to cast Matt Smith and I wanted to cast Peter Capaldi.

"I didn't think it was a terrible idea, I just thought, 'I want to cast those people' – that was it."

Of course, the decision on whether the next Doctor is male or female isn't up to Moffat at all. He's leaving along with current star Peter Capaldi, and will entrust the all-important casting to new showrunner Chris Chibnall.

Along with legions of fans, Doctor Who legends Karen Gillan, Michelle Gomez and Billie Piper have all called on Chibnall to make the future female on the BBC One sci-fi series.

Even Capaldi is in favour of a progressive shift for the next iteration of Doctor Who, tipping: "I would like Frances de la Tour to be the first female doctor."

Via Digital Spy