Pages

Doctor Who’s new showrunner, Chris Chibnall, has just become a Doctor

Whilst the internet continues to debate his choice as the new Doctor, incoming Doctor Who showrunner has been at Edge Hill University this morning to accept an Honorary Doctorate in Literature

In his address to graduands, he inevitably raised the issue of the new Doctor, acknowledging that he “appointed a new Doctor yesterday, made an Honorary Doctor today – it’s been quite a weekend”.

In his address, he also said that “Something I wish I’d known earlier, you’re probably all wondering ‘what’s going to happen to me in the future?’ It sounds very obvious but I didn’t realise it until four years ago when I wrote Broadchurch and people started stopping me in the street to ask about it – the future is you, it’s not something that just happens. The future is there to be taken by every person graduating today”.

“I wrote Broadchurch for myself and never thought anyone would want to make it, let alone watch it, but that story has gone around the world, been remade in America and France and turned into a novel. It led to me being offered what was as a child my dream job, being in charge of the TARDIS and Doctor Who – I never thought that would happen either!”.

Chris Chibnall will take over Doctor Who from series 11 onwards – although he’s got the small matter of writing an introduction for new Doctor Jodie Whittaker in the upcoming Christmas special!

Via CultBox by Martin Prince